Migration of Security Permissions and Remapping of Users
SharePoint is a Microsoft platform for collaborative working and document sharing. You can place files and folders that are collectively used by many users on SharePoint to make collaboration and sharing more efficient. The SharePoint features like check in/check out, publishing, versioning, and single instance storage allows users to work more effectively.
When an organization starts using SharePoint, it is necessary to move many files and folders to SharePoint as end users mainly work on them. Owing to the cost considerations and file size limitations, it is suggested to move only files and folders that are necessary for shared work. Keep in mind that SharePoint is not a replacement for less expensive, more secure, and reliable file servers.
SharePoint support for security permissions
Permissions like Full Control, Design, Contribute, Read, and Limited Access can be assigned to users/user groups of SharePoint to control what operations can be performed on various SharePoint objects. Professional migration tools like Kernel Migrator for SharePoint allows you migrate security permissions of files/folders to SharePoint from File Servers. Also, it allows quick mapping of AD user accounts with SharePoint user accounts.
Kernel Migrator for SharePoint – Migrate from File Servers to SharePoint
Kernel Migrator for SharePoint is an advanced SharePoint Migration tool that migrates Files/Folders from your File Servers to SharePoint (On-premises and Online), and OneDrive for Business. Additionally, it helps you move Exchange/Office 365 Public Folders to SharePoint. This sophisticated tool owns many advanced features that facilitate requirement based migration of Files/Folders. Here we focus on its features for permission migration.
How to configure Permission Settings in Kernel Migrator for SharePoint?
You can configure permission settings prior to the migration and can edit the same at the time of migration. This is how you can configure Permission Settings: Open Kernel Migrator for SharePoint, select Settings from the Tools menu, and then go to Upload Settings (File System) tab and click Permission Settings. You can configure permission settings here.
How to upload Files/Folders and Permissions to SharePoint?
Migrating user permission to SharePoint is very important as we move data from File Servers to SharePoint. This enables users to work on the SharePoint platform without any difficulties. One can use Kernel Migrator for SharePoint for easy migration of Files/Folders to SharePoint. After pre-migrating analysis, one can proceed to upload the data from File Servers to SharePoint. The steps of migration are given here in very brief.
- Click File System > File System to SharePoint Migration, or go to tool bar and click File System > Migration to SharePoint.
- Add the content to be migrated using the File System to SharePoint Migration wizard. Use Add File(s), Add Folder, Add Remote File(s), or Add Remote Folder option as required.
- The added content gets listed as shown.
- Enter the destination details in the Select Destination page.
- Now, the software maps the content attributes (of the source and destination) automatically and displays them. You can edit the values if modifications are required or if the mapping is not complete.
- Select the required migration options in the Select Copy Option page—by default it displays the Upload Settings (File System) configured by the user. By carefully selecting the options, user can filter the content to be uploaded.
- To migrate permissions associated with the Files/Folders, choose Migration Permissions. This enables the option Remap Users by which you can map the users. To remap, choose Remap User option, and click Add New Mapping (You can also use a list from a CSV file for mapping. For this click Add Using CSV button).
- Add source user name and destination user name.
- Now the mapping details get displayed.
- If you are migrating from a remote file system, provide login credentials.
- To upload the Files/Folders instantly, select Execute Immediate (you can schedule the upload too).
- Now the software provides the summary of the migration job.
- After the completion of the migration, the software displays a confirmation
Note: To view the permissions on a particular item or folder, select it and click the Groups/users Permissions button.
Note: Migration of permissions can be done only if the user from the source is available on the AD of the SharePoint. Otherwise, you need to remap users.
Migration of security permission along with the Files/Folders eliminates post-migration chaos completely as end users can work on Files/Folders without much trouble. Consequently, administrators’ workload will be reduced considerably. Kernel Migrator for SharePoint, a user-friendly tool or File Server to SharePoint migration, supports remapping of AD users to SharePoint users, and migration of permissions.