Read time 5 minutes
The article compares MOV and WMV video formats, recommends specialized software like Kernel Video Converter for conversions, and provides a simple conversion guide. It emphasizes the importance of using dedicated tools for seamless format transitions.
Various platforms utilize distinct containers for storing audio, video, and images, leading to format variations tailored to each platform. These containers are designed to seamlessly function within their respective ecosystems and are compatible with media player applications supported by that platform. For instance, in the context of the Microsoft Windows environment, the default video format is WMV (Windows Media Video).
In 1999, Microsoft introduced the Windows Media Video (WMV) compression format. This compression technique converts ASF (Advanced Systems Format) files into WMV, making them compatible with playback on Windows Media Player.
In this current article, we will explore the most effective approaches for converting MOV video files into the WMV format. MOV serves as the default compression file format for QuickTime, a technology initially developed by Apple in 1998, primarily compatible with QuickTime Player. When you seek to convert from MOV to WMV, you’re essentially transitioning from Apple’s compression method to one that is tailored for Microsoft-based media players.
Details of MOV file Format
- File Extension – .mov
- MIME Type- audio/x-wav, audio/x-midi, video/avi, video/x-quicktime, audio/aiff, image/mov, video/quicktime.
- A single MOV file can contain multiple audio and video tracks that further include subtitles or effects.
- Each track belongs to a digitally coded media stream that has a reference to a separate media file.
- In MOV files, multiple tracks are put in a hierarchical structure.
- MOV files are interchangeable with MP4 files (through the MPEG-4 compression in QuickTime).
- There is a QuickTime plugin that allows you to run MOV files on browser pages also.
- As the MOV file contains multiple tracks that are independent of each other, video editors can use them in professional applications.
- Supported Applications in Windows – VLC Media Player, Mobile Media Converter, Windows Media Player, Creator NXT Pro, etc.
- Supported applications in Mac OS – QuickTime Player, VLC Media Player, Roxio Toast 11, Roxio Popcorn 4, Mobile Media Converter, etc.
- Supported applications in Linux – Mobile Media Converter, VLC Media Player.
WMV file Format
- File Extension – .wmv
- MIME Type – video/x-ms-wmv, audio/x-ms-wma, video/x-ms-asf, video/x-ms-wm, video/x-ms-wvx, video/x-ms-asf, video/x-ms-wvx, etc.
- WMV storage files are suitable to save audio and video components in a small storage area.
- The default platform of WMV file is Windows. So, it supports all the versions of the Windows Operating System.
- WMV is suitable to stream videos online.
- WMV has a double compression ratio in comparison to MPEG-4.
- WMV videos can be embedded in Google Slide.
- Supported applications in Windows – VLC Media Player, Microsoft Movies & TV, Nullsoft Winamp, Roxio Creator NXT Pro 7, Kodi, etc.
- Supported applications in Mac OS – VLC Media Player, Elmedia Player, Kodi, ShedWorx Smart Converter, etc.
- Supported applications in Linux – VLC Media Player, Kodi, etc.
How to Convert MOV to WMV Format?
Converting a video from one prominent format to another can indeed be a complex task, especially when transitioning between platform-specific formats like MOV (commonly associated with Apple) and WMV (typically associated with Windows). In such cases, it is often necessary to rely on specialized software to facilitate the conversion process. A prime example of such professional software is Kernel Video Converter , which is capable of efficiently handling a wide range of video conversions, making it a valuable tool for those who have migrated from the Apple platform to Windows and need to adapt their video files to the new environment.
- The minimal user-interface of the software shows the option to add (+) the videos. Click it.
- Browse the videos from their locations and then click the Next button to start the process.
- Choose Simple Output – WMV as the output option and click the Convert Now button.
- Select the folder to save the video files after conversion. Then click OK.
- The software has converted the videos and saved them at the specified location. Now, you can click the link and go directly to check the videos.
Finally, click the Close button to finish the conversion process.
Both MOV and WMV are indeed significant formats within the realms of Apple and Microsoft platforms, respectively. When confronted with the need to convert video files from one format to another, it is advisable to refrain from manual methods and opt for dedicated video conversion software. This software not only streamlines the conversion process but also offers the advantage of converting an unlimited number of videos with ease. Additionally, it allows users to specify the location for saving the converted videos, ensuring convenient access to the resulting files.