Learn to Fix the “Connection to Server Timed Out Error” in Thunderbird
This blog discusses a common Thunderbird error, “Connection to server timed out,” providing the best ways to handle it.
About the Thunderbird “Connection to Server Timed Out” Error
Most of the Thunderbird email client users are aware of the “Connection to server timed out” error which is encountered when an attempt to send or receive an email is made. It happens mostly with large emails or emails with large-sized attachments. It could be displayed with this information.
Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.gmail.com timed out. Try again.
Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.gmail.com timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator.
Both errors represent similar issues where the email fails to send because the server has taken much time to respond to the sending request and the server time is out. Active connection to Thunderbird fails while downloading email to it.
Causes of the Thunderbird “Connection to Server Timed Out” Error
- Incorrect account configuration (SMTP port) settings
- Email blockage due to programs like Windows Firewall, Antivirus, etc.
- SSL/TLS Server setting is not configured
- Spam detected on Port 25 by Internet Service Provider
- Server Timeout is set to a low value
Solutions to the Thunderbird “Connection to Server Timed Out” Error
After knowing about the Connection timed out error and the common reasons responsible for it, one should proceed to its solutions as under.
- Disable Antivirus, Firewall, etc.
Blocking of messages in Thunderbird email client due to the Connection to server timed out error is rarely linked with third-party antivirus applications and Windows Firewall on the system. Still, users can try to disable both and check if emails can be sent and received via the Thunderbird email client.
Go to the Windows Firewall option in the Control Panel on your system. Click on the Turn Windows Firewall on or off from the left panel. Next, select the second Turn off Windows Firewall for your network and click OK.
- Check the Outgoing Server (SMTP) Settings
Follow the given process to check and correct the account configuration settings of the Outgoing Server (SMTP) in your Thunderbird email client.
- Open your Thunderbird email client application.
- Navigate to Tools > Accounts.
- Now, click on the Outgoing Server (SMTP) tab and check the details for user name, Port, Secure Authentication, Connection Security Settings, etc. Click the Edit option to change any setting which you know is incorrect currently. Ensure that Connection Security Settings for SMTP are set to STARTTLS.
- Restart the email client and try sending emails.
- Increase the Server Timeout Value
As the error itself indicates that the connection to the server is timed out, it would be helpful to increase the server timeout value manually. Here is the procedure to do this.
- Open the Thunderbird application on your system.
- Navigate to Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Config Editor.
- Go to the search file, type mailnews.tcptimeout and press Enter.
- Right-click on the search result mailnews.tcptimeout and select the Modify option from the drop-down list.
- Now, edit the value to provide a higher value and save it.
- Restart the Thunderbird email client and try sending emails now.
These were the fixes that can save you from the Thunderbird “Connection to server timed out” error and let you send or receive emails without error messages.
With the decrease in popularity of the Thunderbird email client and the emergence of more secure email clients like Outlook, exporting emails from Thunderbird to Outlook PST is a common action nowadays. And to move Thunderbird data to the Outlook email client, conversion of its database file MBOX to PST supported by Outlook is needed. We intend to deliver our users with the best and the most popular MBOX to PST Converter tool – Kernel for MBOX to PST Converter. It allows converting single/multiple MBOX files to Outlook PST files directly and selectively. It is designed with powerful algorithms and is integrated with smart filter options for quick and efficient conversion without losing original properties and data. Check the complete details about the converter tool on its website.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Does the Kernel for MBOX to PST Converter solution supports MBOX email clients other than Thunderbird?
A. Yes. The tool supports about 20 MBOX email clients, including Mozilla Thunderbird, to automatically and efficiently convert MBOX file format to PST format.
Q. Can I move MBOX file content to Cloud location directly with this tool?
A. Yes. The tool supports the direct migration of MBOX file content to the Office 365 cloud location.
Q. Any trial version of the converter tool available? If yes, what are the limitations?
A. Yes, there is a free trial version available for Kernel for MBOX to PST Converter tool. The trial version saves 25 items per folder only from the MBOX mailbox folders to the PST file.
Q. Can I move my AppleMail MBOX file also with the MBOX to PST Converter tool?
A. The tool does support the AppleMail MBOX file for conversion to Outlook PST file. It also exports data to other destinations like Exchange Server, Office 365, and Gmail.