MS Outlook is very easy to use and offers smooth performance, but at times due to errors and bugs, it does fail. One such error that might occur is the problem of Outlook continually prompting for a password.
Why does Outlook keep prompting for password?
There are several reasons why Outlook keeps prompting for a password:
- Outlook is configured to prompt for credentials
- Incorrect Outlook password stored by the Credential Manager
- Outlook profile is corrupt
- Bad network connection
- Antivirus programs causes Outlook errors
- When Outlook is configured to prompt for credentials
When the User identification settings are enabled in Outlook (configured with an Exchange account), it prompts continuously for login credentials. To get rid of the password prompt problem, you need to disable this setting.
- Open Outlook, go to File >> Account Settings >> Account Settings.
- Select the Exchange account and click the Change button.
- Click More Settings in the new dialogue box.
- In the Security tab of Microsoft Exchange dialogue box, uncheck Always prompt for logon credentials.
By removing previously stored credentials from the Credential Manager, you can fix the issue:
- In Control Panel, click on Credential Manager.
- Look for the credential sets that have Outlook in the name.
- Expand the set and click on Remove from Vault.
- Repeat the steps for all credential sets that have Outlook in the name.
Outlook may fail to remember password due to corrupt profile. To resolve the corruption issue, create a new profile in Outlook.
Step 1: Open Control Panel, look for Mail and click on it.
Step 2: A Mail Setup – Outlook box will appear, click on Show profiles button.
Step 3: Now, select Outlook from the profile and click on the Add button to add a new Outlook profile.
Step 4: Add a profile name and click OK.
Step 5: In this step, set your Name, email address and password and click Next button.
Step 6: Congratulations! Your new profile is ready. Click Finish and proceed to the final step.
Step 7: Now, select the new profile, click Always use this profile and select the new profile from the drop-down list. Click Apply and OK.
Your issue is fixed, Outlook will no more prompt for a password.
Use Third-Party Automated Tool for Password Recovery
Above manual methods will surely help you resolve Outlook password prompt errors. But what if you have forgotten or lost the password of your PST file and unable to recall it? For this problem, we have the easiest solution for you, i.e., an automated solution Kernel Outlook Password Recovery. With Outlook Password Recovery tool, you can recover, remove and set new passwords of your Outlook PST file in a matter of few clicks.
The solutions mentioned here will solve the issue of password prompt, and the performance of Outlook will be improved. But, if at any point you feel that Outlook has stopped or you have lost all the data from your profile, consider a commercial solution such as Outlook PST Repair Software. Using this tool, you can get back your data instantly, and your work will not be hampered.