Office 365 shared mailboxes are created so that more than one user can access it. Basically, a shared mailbox allows multiple users to share the responsibility of reading and responding to emails, from a common email address. However, only the admin has access to create a shared mailbox and add users.
But why organizations need to migrate their shared mailboxes from one tenant to another? There is not a single reason behind doing so. As businesses are merging or demerging will face a situation where they need to migrate their shared mailboxes. Some other reasons could be:
- Renaming of the tenant
- Regulatory Compliance
Well, whatever be the reason, organizations need to consider all the options for migrating shared mailboxes and find what help they will get from Microsoft for the same.
Methods to Migrate Shared Mailboxes between Office 365 Tenants
It is necessary to note that Microsoft doesn’t offer any special assistance or technique to migrate shared mailboxes between Office 365 tenants. However, if you’re willing to export shared mailboxes to PST and then import PST to Office 365 mailboxes, then there are manual approaches to do that. Also, migrating shared mailboxes in Office 365 is almost similar to migrating primary mailboxes; all you need to do is select the shared mailboxes, and then migrate them. But, how would you do that without any difficulty? The ideal option to migrate shared mailboxes between Office 365 tenant is a third-party tool, and Kernel Office 365 Migration is the best utility to do that.
Kernel Office 365 Migration
Office 365 Migration tool is specially designed for the Office 365 tenant to tenant migration and provides a seamless experience to every user. Using this tool, you can also migrate Exchange mailboxes to Office 365. It is integrated with advanced features that make the overall migration process more effective. Let’s know this software better with its working process.
- Download and install Kernel Office 365 Migration tool on your system.
- On launching the software, you’ll find two sections on the home screen – Add Source and Add Destination. Click Add Source for adding the Office 365 from which you want to migrate shared mailboxes. Note: You can make use of a CSV file to import account details.
- The Office 365/Exchange login window will appear on the screen, provide credentials for Office 365 account, select List all mailboxes using above credentials, and then hit the Get User mailboxes button. It will display all the Office 365 mailboxes, select the required Shared mailboxes, and then click Add.
- The mailboxes will be added to the source section, now click Add in the Add Destination section.
- Enter the credentials for destination Office 365 account. Then select the second option “List all mailboxes using the above credentials” and click the Get User Mailboxes. It will display all the Office 365 mailboxes, select the specific mailboxes to which you want to migrate Shared mailboxes, and then click Add. Note: Make sure you have administrative privileges for it.
- Once both the source and destination mailboxes are added, map mailboxes with each other, and then click Set Filter and Migrate.
- In the next step, select the mailbox type to which you want to migrate shared mailboxes and click Migrate.
- The filter section window will appear on the screen, apply the specific filters to the mailboxes as per your requirements, and click I am OK Start Migration.
- The software will start migrating shared mailboxes to Office 365 mailboxes. Once the migration is done, a notification will appear on your screen confirming the same, click OK to finish the process.
Note: If you want to save this report to CSV format, then click Save report to CSV. And that’s how you migrate shared mailboxes between Office 365 tenants with Kernel Office 365 Migration.
Migrating shared mailboxes between Office 365 tenants is a complicated task. Also, there is no manual approach to migrate shared mailboxes. Therefore, we talked about Office 365 Migration that is specially designed for migrating mailboxes between Office 365 tenants.