Shared mailboxes in Office 365 are established to enable multiple users to access them collectively. In essence, a shared mailbox facilitates the collaboration of multiple users in managing emails received at a common email address. It's important to note that only the administrator possesses the authority to create a shared mailbox and to add users to it.
Why organizations choose to migrate their shared mailboxes from one tenant to another can vary, and there isn't a single universal reason for doing so. Such migrations may become necessary in scenarios where businesses are merging or demerging, creating a need to transfer shared mailboxes. Additionally, there are several other possible reasons for such migrations, including:
- Renaming of the tenant
- Regulatory Compliance
Regardless of the specific reason, organizations must thoroughly explore their options for migrating shared mailboxes and assess the assistance available from Microsoft to facilitate this process.
Methods to Migrate Shared Mailboxes between Office 365 Tenants
It's important to note that Microsoft doesn't provide specialized assistance or techniques for migrating shared mailboxes between Office 365 tenants. However, there are manual approaches available, such as exporting shared mailboxes to PST and then import PST to Office 365 mailboxes. Migrating shared mailboxes in Office 365 follows a process similar to migrating primary mailboxes; you simply select the shared mailboxes and proceed with the migration.
However, to streamline this process and ensure a smoother migration, utilizing a third-party tool is often the ideal choice. Kernel Office 365 Migration is recognized as one of the best utilities for efficiently migrating shared mailboxes between Office 365 tenants."
Kernel Office 365 Migration
The O365 Migration tool is specifically tailored for seamless Office 365 tenant-to-tenant migrations and offers a user-friendly experience. In addition to tenant-to-tenant migrations, this tool can also facilitate the migration of Exchange mailboxes to Office 365. It comes equipped with advanced features that enhance the overall efficiency of the migration process. Let's delve deeper into the functionality of this software and understand how it works.
- Download and install the tool on your system.
- On launching the software, you’ll find two sections on the home screen – Add Source and Add Destination. Click Add Source for adding the Office 365 from which you want to migrate shared mailboxes. Note: You can make use of a CSV file to import account details.
- The Office 365/Exchange login window will appear on the screen, provide credentials for Office 365 account, select List all mailboxes using above credentials, and then hit the Get User mailboxes button. It will display all the Office 365 mailboxes, select the required Shared mailboxes, and then click Add.
- The mailboxes will be added to the source section, now click Add in the Add Destination section.
- Enter the credentials for destination Office 365 account. Then select the second option “List all mailboxes using the above credentials” and click the Get User Mailboxes. It will display all the Office 365 mailboxes, select the specific mailboxes to which you want to migrate Shared mailboxes, and then click Add. Note: Make sure you have administrative privileges for it.
- Once both the source and destination mailboxes are added, map mailboxes with each other, and then click Set Filter and Migrate.
- In the next step, select the mailbox type to which you want to migrate shared mailboxes and click Migrate.
- The filter section window will appear on the screen, apply the specific filters to the mailboxes as per your requirements, and click I am OK Start Migration.
- The software will start migrating shared mailboxes to Office 365 mailboxes. Once the migration is done, a notification will appear on your screen confirming the same, click OK to finish the process.
Note: If you want to save this report to CSV format, then click Save report to CSV. And that’s how you migrate shared mailboxes between Office 365 tenants with this powerful migration tool.
Migrating shared mailboxes between Office 365 tenants can indeed be a complex endeavor, compounded by the absence of a straightforward manual method. As a solution, we've discussed a dedicated migration tool that is specifically designed to simplify the process of migrating mailboxes between Office 365 tenants.