Are you not able to access Excel files in your Flash Drive? This blog is going to help you with the exact same issue, where an Excel file stored in a flash drive is corrupt or inaccessible, but you need to recover it.
Reasons Why You Can’t Access Excel Files on Flash Drive
A flash drive is a portable media storage device which is used in the same system, and many other systems and hence is very sensitive. Excel files in a flash drive can be inaccessible due to various reasons, including:
- Corruption in Flash Drive
- Virus Attacks
- Formatting of the Flash Drive
- Improper Unplugging of Flash Drive from devices
- Issues in USB’s Directory Structure.
Recover Excel Documents with Manual Methods
You can recover Excel files from a Flash Drive by following some manual methods. These methods can provide you with a chance to recover files. Let’s have a look at them.
- Using Command Prompt
Command Prompt is an important utility in Windows. Let’s see how this command can work here:
- Start with connecting problematic Flash Drive to your system.
- Now click on the Start menu and in the search box type Cmd, and you will be presented with the best suitable options, in the search results, select cmd.exe.
- Click on the cmd.exe, and a Command Prompt Window will open on your system.
- Now type “attrib -h -r -s /s /d (Flash Drive Letter):\*.*” and press Enter key.
- Once you enter the right command, the repairing process will start.
- Wait for the process to complete, once it is over, the excel files in the Flash Drive should be repaired.
- Using Previous Versions
Restoring from previous versions is another effective way to restore the data that existed before the corruption or damage took place. Let’s check how this method works:
- Start with locating the Excel file in the Flash Drive.
- Right-click on the file and select Restore Previous Versions.
- A new properties dialogue box will open, there you will find previous versions of the file under the Previous Versions tab.
- If you can’t see any previous versions, unfortunately, you can’t recover previous files.
So, this is how you can restore the data from a Flash Drive. If these manual methods are giving you a tough time, or you are not getting desired results, then you can try a third-party tool for the same.
Try an Automated Solution
Kernel for Excel is an outstanding automated excel repair tool that repairs Excel files from any type of corruption and from any device attached to your system. Let’s see how:
- Install and run the tool on your system. In the home screen, click on the Browse button and select the Excel files on the Flash Drive.
- Once the Excel file is selected, click on the Repair button.
- Once you click on the Repair button, the repair process will take place. Wait for it to get over or click on the Stop button to stop the process.
- Once the repair is over, you will have a detailed preview of the inside content of the Excel file.
- Moving ahead, the tool will ask you to provide a destination to the file. Click on Select Path, add a destination, and click on Save option.
- Wait while the saving process is taking place. You can stop it if you want, by clicking on the Stop button.
- Once the repaired files are saved, the tool will show you the notification with the destination path.
Hope this automated method was helpful and solved your problem.
We have discussed how one can recover files from a flash drive. We have discussed the reasons why such problems arise. We have discussed two manual and one automated method to solve the issue. After performing all the methods, I have concluded that using Kernel for Excel Repair is the best approach to fix this issue.