Read time 7 min
Many organizations want to take advantage of Microsoft Office 365 as it offers all the benefits of an email client in a more efficient manner on the cloud. It increases your productivity and ensures instant email communication. When you want to move from Outlook for Mac, you will find it hard because there are no direct methods. But with the IMAP protocol, you can migrate the emails from OLM to Office 365. You have come to the right place where we will discuss all the steps to export OLM to Office 365 manually.
Export OLM to Office 365 manually
Follow the steps below to understand the process:
- Open your Gmail and go to account settings. In the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab, enable “IMAP” and click “Save changes.”
- Now, open your Mac Outlook and go to the Tools tab, and select Accounts.
- A new window will appear on the screen; click the “+” button in the lower-left corner of the window to configure a Gmail account with Mac Outlook.
- Enter the information for your IMAP account, such as username, password, incoming server, outgoing server, etc., and click “Add Account.”
Note 1: For Gmail, the incoming server is “imap.gmail.com,” and the outgoing server is “smtp.gmail.com.”
Note 2: Don’t forget to check “Use SSL to connect” for each server.
The above steps will add the IMAP account to your Mac Outlook. Now, you need to synchronize the Gmail label to Mac Outlook.
- Login to your Gmail account and click the gear button; in the drop-down list, click Settings and select Label.
- Create a new label by pressing Create new label button.
- Once the new label is created, open the Mac Outlook account and update the IMAP mailbox by clicking the Send/Receive button.
- After updating, start synchronizing the OLM file with the IMAP email account. Transfer all the data from the OLM file to the IMAP email account.
Once the data is transferred to the IMAP account, configure your MS Outlook (on Windows machine) with this IMAP account and export data to PST files. Later you can import Outlook PST file to Office 365. However, the manual method does open doors to a few challenges.
Drawbacks of the Manual Method
- The manual method is not a reliable approach, as it consumes a lot of time and resources.
- When you try to transfer OLM data to IMAP, there are chances that you might lose your crucial data due to several reasons, such as interruption in the Internet connection, sudden shutdown of the system, etc.
- Exporting OLM to IMAP doesn’t export the entire OLM data; only emails and messages are migrated, which means you cannot export entire OLM data to Office 365 manually.
- It is suitable for users who have in-depth knowledge about the platforms and their functionality. Beginners may not be comfortable while trying this approach.
So, the best way to export OLM to Office 365 is to use an automated tool that provides complete migration of OLM files to Office 365.
Export OLM emails to Office 365 directly
If you’re looking for a convenient solution to export OLM to Office 365, download Kernel OLM to PST converter software. It is an efficient tool that allows users to export OLM files to Office 365 quickly. It offers some great features that make the migration process easier, which includes-.
- Migration of emails, contacts, hyperlinks, calendar, email attachments, etc.
- Save OLM file to MS Exchange, Office 365, GroupWise, and IMAP accounts.
- Migrate emails to Gmail, Google Apps, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail/Live Mail/Outlook, and iCloud.
- Retrieve data from normal as well as corrupt OLM files.
- Compatible with all versions of Windows, MS Outlook, and Mac Outlook.
The working process of the tool is simple. Let’s proceed to its working steps:
- Launch the tool on your system; a welcome window will appear on the screen. Select the OLM file and click “Next.”
Note 1: If you don’t know the location of the OLM file, then click the “Search” button. It will automatically display all the OLM files on your system; select the desired OLM file and click “Next.”
- The scanning process will take some time; once it is complete, you can see all the folders of the OLM file in the tool. Select any folder and click on it to preview its emails/items.
- Now, to export these emails/items to Office 365, click the “Save” button in the upper left corner of the tool and select “Office 365” from the opened window, and click “Next.”
- In the next step, you can set filters such as Date, Item Type, etc. After setting the filters, click “Next.”
- In the next step, you’ll be asked to enter the credentials of the Office 365 account. Fill the details and click “Finish.”
Note: If you want to save emails to a new folder, then check the checkbox “Save data to the following folder,” and enter a name for the folder.
- The process will be completed within seconds. Once it is done, a pop-up window will appear on your screen displaying “Data has been saved.” Click “OK” to complete the OLM to Office 365 process.
The OLM emails have been successfully migrated to your Office 365 account. And with the same tool, you can migrate OLM emails to MSG, EML, TXT, HTML, PDF, etc.
We discussed all the necessary steps to export OLM to Office 365 manually. But, if you compare the manual and automated methods, you will see that the manual method has many limitations mentioned above. So, if you want to adopt Office 365, you should use Kernel OLM to PST Converter tool because it will remove the limitations of the manual process and migrate the complete mailboxes. You can access the emails at Office 365 instantly after the migration.
Q- Can I communicate even if I have disabled IMAP?
A- Yes, you will continue to get emails, but if you want to connect your account with Office 365, then you should enable it as mentioned in the article.
Q- I have used all the steps and clicked send/receive button multiple times, but new emails are not receiving. What should I do?
A- Perhaps, the IMAP settings is not enabled completely. You should wait a little more or use the software to complete the process.