Read time 6 minutes
Emails and other mailbox items in Outlook are stored in the user’s computer in the form of PST files or Personal Storage files. Like any other files, PST files are susceptible to corruption and other forms of damages. Corruption to PST files makes emails and other mailbox items inaccessible in Outlook. Sometimes Outlook users face these types of inaccessibility issues, irrespective of the Outlook version they are using.
Following are the well-known reasons that lead to the PST file damage:
- Abrupt system shut down where Outlook is in use
- Improper closing of Outlook
- Errors in physical storage media
- Headers of PST files are internally damaged
- 2GB file size limitation (if PST file has been created in Outlook versions earlier than Outlook 2007)
- Malicious virus attacks
Due to any of the reasons mentioned above, PST file can be damaged anytime leaving you in a dire situation. Once the PST file is damaged, MS Outlook fails to access emails, notes, contacts, calendars, etc. in your email account. In this blog, we are going to discuss a few solutions when you get stuck in such a problem.
Here is how you can repair your PST files with manual methods:
- Creating New Outlook Account: Backup is the topmost solution to recover emails, contacts, etc. from damaged PST file. . If you have a backup of the damaged PST file, you can easily get email items back in just a few minutes by creating a new user account in Outlook. After creating a new user account, import the backup PST file in it, and you will get all your emails back.
- If you do not have a backup of the damaged PST file, then you need to use the Microsoft Inbox Repair tool to repair the damaged PST file. After the tool has completed the recovery process, you will be able to access emails and related items in your current Outlook account. The good point about the Inbox Repair tool is you do not need to purchase it because it comes as a built-in Outlook repair tool. The following points help you use the Inbox Repair tool (also called Scanpst.exe):
- Click on Start button on the windows and then start the search.
- In Search Window, click the All files and folders link and then type Scanpst.exe.
- Double-click on the Scanpst.exe program will start.
- Browse the location of the damaged PST file according to the following given paths:
- Click Start. After the software has completed the scanning process, you can repair it, it displays the notification of the successful completion of the repair process.
Even though the software notifies that the process is performed successfully, there are chances that your PST file is not repaired at all. Try accessing your emails using your Outlook account. If the file is repaired successfully, then Outlook will work well with it; otherwise, try a reputed third-party software to repair the damaged PST file.
A third-party tool is a reliable option for you to recover emails, notes, contacts, to do list, etc. back from damaged PST file. With a third-party tool, you can perfectly repair the damaged PST file in just a few minutes.
Kernel has come up with an unbeatable option to repair your Outlook Inbox. With the help of Kernel for Outlook PST Repair Tool, you can repair any sort of damaged PST file. Let’s see how.
- Start with clicking on the Browse button.
- Select the file you need to repair and click on Next.
- Now, you can have a look inside the files and folders with the advanced preview feature. Click on Save to proceed further.
- Now select the format you want to save your file in and select PST File (MS Outlook) from the list and click on Next.
- In the next step, apply filters. Here you can exclude the unwanted data. Click on Next to proceed.
- Now select the destination path for your repaired file and click on Finish.
- Once the process is done, click on Ok and check the folder where you saved your file.
We have discussed how one can repair a corrupted PST file by manual and automated methods. But as we can see, how hassle-free, quick, and reliable the automated method is. Kernel for Outlook software uses quick data recovery algorithms, due to which the tool quickly repairs the damaged PST file. With an easy-to-understand user interface, the software can recover all emails, attachments, notes, contacts, etc., with full accuracy. Moreover, the software can recover emails from PST files created in all Outlook versions, including Outlook 2019.