Today, when emails have become the most preferred way of communication among people, Microsoft Outlook is considered as the fast, reliable, and easy-to-use email client. Emails created in Outlook are stored on user’s computer in the form of .PST files though the Personal Storage files are susceptible to get damaged.
Following are the well-known reasons that lead into PST file damage:
- Abrupt system shut down when Outlook is in use
- Improperly closing Outlook
- Internal Outlook errors
- Errors in physical storage media
- Headers of PST files are damaged
- 2GB file size limitation (if PST file has been created in Outlook versions earlier than Outlook 2007)
- Malicious virus attacks
Due to any of the aforementioned reasons, PST file can be damaged anytime leaving you in a dire situation. Once the PST file is damaged, MS Outlook fails to access emails, notes, contacts, calendars, etc. into your email account. So, damage of the PST file can be a night mare for you, which makes you apprehensive about losing all of your important emails, notes, contacts, to do list, news article, attachments, etc. But, you do not need to worry about it because every problem has a solution.
You can get relief from the fear of losing emails, contacts, and other related items by executing one of the following processes:
- Creating New Outlook Account: Backup is the top most solution to recover emails, contacts, etc. from damaged PST file. If you backup of damaged PST file then by creating a new user account in Outlook, you can easily get email items back in just few minutes. After creating a new user account, import backup PST file in it and you will get all of your emails back.
- Using Microsoft Inbox Repair Tool: If you do not have backup of damaged PST file then you need to use Microsoft Inbox Repair tool to repair damaged PST file. After the tool has completed the recovery process, you will be able to access emails and related items in your current Outlook account. The good point about the Inbox Repair tool is you do not need to purchase it because it comes as a built-in Outlook repair tool. Following points help you use the Inbox Repair tool (also called Scanpst.exe):
- Click Start > Search.
- In Search Window, click All files and folders link and then type Scanpst.exe.
- Click the Search button. In few seconds to minutes, you will see Scanpst.exe in search result.
- Double-click the file. The Scanpst.exe program starts.
- Browse the location of damaged PST file according to the following given paths:
- Windows 98 or Windows Me: Disk Drive > Windows >Â Local Settings > Application Data
- Windows NT 4.0: Disk Drive > WINNT > Profiles >username > Local Settings >Application Data
- Windows XP or Windows Server 2003: Disk Drive > Documents and Settings > username >Local Settings >Application Data >Microsoft >Outlook
- Windows Vista: Disk Drive > users > username > AppData > Local >Microsoft >Outlook
- Click Start. After the software has completed the repairing process, it displays the process successfully completed message.
Even though the software displays, the process successfully completed message there are very less chance that your PST file has been successfully repaired. Try accessing your emails using your Outlook account. If Outlook works well with the repaired PST file then it is your fine otherwise try any third-party software to repair the damaged PST file.
- Using Third-party Software: A third-party tool is the last but reliable option for you to recover emails, notes, contacts, to do list, etc. back from damaged PST file. With a third-party tool, you can perfectly repair the damaged PST file in just few minutes.
Kernel for Outlook software uses quick data recovery algorithms due to which the tool quickly repairs the damaged PST file. With easy-to-understandable user interface, the software has capability to recover all emails, attachments, notes, contacts, etc. with full accuracy. Moreover, the software is able to recover emails from PST files created in Outlook 97, Outlook 2000, Outlook 2002, Outlook 2003, and Outlook 2007.