Lotus Notes which is now known as IBM Notes is one of the earliest email managers which grabbed the attention of professional organizations. It uses Domino as its Server and can run on any environment (Windows, class MAC OS, Linux, Unix, etc.). IBM claims to have sold more than 145 million licenses till date, but multiple times various experts have criticized the performance of IBM Notes. One major drawback which gets the maximum criticism is a non-user-friendly interface. Users find it hard to search the saved files. Attachment handling is also not good. Many simple traits which were available in other email managers came quite late in Lotus Notes, like drag-&-drop folders and follow-up flags.
Here are the drawbacks which limits the performance of Lotus Notes and push the user to try other platforms –
- Whenever a new message comes in the mailbox, the user gets a notification, but the message does not become visible until the user refreshes the message list.
- The search feature is not up to the mark.
- Whenever you search for an email based on a keyword, a list of emails comes up there. So, the user needs to search manually to get the desired email.
- Whenever you save a document at a place, it remains at the same location. The user creates multiple links at different folders. So, if you delete a file from its location, then it is also deleted from all the folders. It increases the chances of data loss.
- Due to the complex user interface, the user requires technical expertise at every level. A novice user can not properly handle the Lotus Notes effectively.
- Lotus Notes discourages to use multiple accounts simultaneously. If the user requires to use another account, then he/she needs to separately login to the account.
After getting to know about the disadvantages about Lotus Notes, it is quite natural that user wants to move from Lotus Notes to other platforms and Office 365 is the most prominent destination.
Office 365 is a feature-rich cloud platform from Microsoft which offers multiple benefits like Microsoft Office suite, Live Exchange, OneDrive, Skype for Business, etc. It provides multiple benefits to the user over any other such platform –
- Increased storage: You need to download and install Lotus Notes on your computer and later configure it. But you do not need to install Office 365 because it is an online platform. So, you do not need any storage space. Additionally, the processing speed is also increased.
- Better synchronization: Lotus Notes can have synchronization issues with Domino Server and many times the connection may be lost due to even smaller error. Office 365 offers a better uptime.
- Rendering issues: Lotus Notes does not render the HTML, CSS file efficiently and its database file NSF is also not supported by other email servers/clients. When you configure your account with Office 365, then not only it removes all the rendering issues, but it also makes your data available globally.
IBM Lotus Notes was quite popular some years ago. But since the advent of cloud computing, it has continuously lost its user base. Now Office 365 is providing all benefits, features, and security which Lotus Notes was never providing. To migrate your Lotus Notes or Domino Server data to Office 365, there is a special tool named Kernel Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes. You can easily migrate NSF and Domino server files to Office365 mailboxes using this software. Lotus Notes to office 365 migration utility is a reliable and high-performance software which lets you migrate Domino server and NSF files to cloud and access them with any web browser from anywhere.