Methods to Migrate G Suite to Office 365 (Microsoft 365)
Read time 8 minutes
Due to advanced features provided by the Microsoft 365 platform, users of other cloud applications like Google Workspace (G Suite) are planning to migrate to it. It is a popular cloud-based platform, which provides a wide range of plans, integration with desktop email client applications, and much more than other online storage platforms. Office 365 is more suitable for enterprises owing to security and flexible plans and subscriptions.
Those who want to migrate G Suite to Office 365 are on the right page as we are discussing the methods to perform this migration. Check the methods for G Suite to Office 365 one after another and decide which suits you the best
Methods to Migrate Google Workspace to Office 365
- Migrate G Suite (Google Workspace) to Office 365 Manually
- Migrate G Suite (Google Workspace) to Office 365 with Kernel G Suite to Office 365 Tool
Method No. 1: Migrate Google Workspace to Office 365 Manually
The manual or native way for the migration involves the use of Admin Center features of both the platforms. It is a multi-stage process that includes multiple steps. So, the process is complex, requires a lot of time for completion, and could fail if a slight mistake or error happens.
The stages of the migration in a sequence are – Verifying both platforms domains to be the same > creating users in destination account > creating a list of mailboxes for migration in CSV file > creating Gmail IMAP migration endpoint > Creating migration batch and moving mailboxes > updating DNS records.
The migration would be successful if all the steps in different stages are performed accurately; otherwise, all the time can go wasted without achieving the migration.
Drawbacks of the manual G Suite to Office 365 migration
- Maximum number of mailboxes– 50, 000; maximum file size – 10MB
- Migrates only emails; Calendars and Contacts cannot be migrated
- Long, complex process (creating migration end point fails mostly)
- A single manual error can cause the failure of the whole process
- Technical expertise is required to perform the process correctly
- Risk of incomplete migration or data loss
Let us move to the next method, which can migrate all Google Workspace mailbox items together to the Office 365 platform.
Method No. 2: Migrate Google Workspace to Office 365 with Kernel G Suite to Office 365 Tool
This method uses a third-party professional tool Kernel G Suite to Office 365, which performs the automated migration of G Suite data to Office 365.
Let us see the steps for the migration, once you have installed this software.
- Launch the Kernel G Suite to Office 365 tool. The Welcome Screen will get opened. Move to the Add Source section and click Add to add the source G Suite account.
- To add the source G Suite account, users need to create a service account in G Suite. Once the service account for G Suite is created, provide the account details like Login email ID, Service Account Id, P12 File Path, etc. Then, if you want to migrate multiple mailboxes from the account, select the second radio button – List all Mailboxes. Click on the Get User Mailbox(es) tab to retrieve the mailboxes in the G Suite account. Select the desired mailboxes for migration and click Add to add this as a source.
- The source account is successfully added. To add the destination account, click Add option under the Add Destination section.
- Add the Office 365 login details – username and password. Select the second option – List all Mailboxes and click on the Get User Mailbox(es) to list the mailboxes. Select the desired user mailboxes to which you want to move the selected G Suite mailboxes data. Then click Add.
- The tool allows mapping source mailboxes to the target mailboxes. So, select and choose the desired target mailbox against the added source mailbox one by one. Click Set Filter and Migrate option.
- Users have the choice to select the destination type from Mailbox, Archive Mailbox, or Public Folder as per the requirements. Click the Migrate option.
- Now, select the desired source mailboxes folders, or apply date filter, item filter, etc., choose the option to save data hierarchy to a separate folder, and other options if needed. Click I am OK, Start Migration to start the migration finally.
- The migration will get started and completed soon. The migration report can be saved to the CSV file format with the details.
The tool is exceptional in migrating G Suite to Office 365 owing to its following functions:
- Migrates Contacts and Calendars/Appointments along with emails to Office 365
- Easy and direct steps for migration
- Migrate G Suite Hangouts Chats to Office 365 easily
- No limitations on the number of mailboxes for migration
- Options to migrate to archive mailboxes and public folder
- Advanced filters for migrating only what is required
- Maps source mailboxes to the target mailboxes
- Descriptive user interface with all the details of the process
- Incremental migration facility to avoid item duplication
Also, there are many other benefits like a free trial version, extensive support to all plans, etc. with this tool. So, get this tool to migrate G Suite/Google Workspace account data to Office 365 in a smooth and systematic way.
Complete Guide for Kernel G Suite to Office 365 Tool
This blog explains two migration methods for those who are seeking migration from G Suite to Office 365. One method is a manual one, while the other one is automated. The choice of migration method is left to the users, though we recommend Kernel G Suite to Office 365 for its simplicity.
A- No, the software does not delete the data. Although, you can delete it manually after completing the migration.
A- You should map each mailbox in the tool. It is important for an error-free migration.
A- Yes, the software can migrate user-defined folder too. They will be present as a separate folder.