Read time 7 minutes
The focus of this discussion is a targeted migration process, specifically from G Suite to Office 365 shared mailboxes, using the reliable Kernel G Suite to Office 365 tool. The article begins with a brief introduction to both G Suite and Office 365 shared mailboxes, followed by an exploration of the reasons driving this migration.
G Suite, rebranded as Google Workspace, offers a suite of applications, including Gmail and Google Drive, and is gaining popularity as an email management solution for businesses. On the other hand, Office 365 is a robust cloud platform known for its strong security features and collaborative tools. Office 365 provides various mailbox types, including user mailboxes, public folders, shared mailboxes, archived mailboxes, and groups, facilitating seamless communication and collaboration. Notably, Office 365’s shared mailbox feature enables users to send emails on behalf of the mailbox, preserving sent emails for future reference.
Due to its superior plans and features, such as shared mailboxes in Office 365, many G Suite users are debating the merits of Google Workspace vs Microsoft 365. As a result, a significant number of users are considering migrating to the Office 365 cloud platform.
Migration from G Suite/Google Workspace to Office 365 Shared Mailboxes – Why?
Let us go through some reasons for G Suite users moving the Gmail mailboxes to Office 365 shared mailboxes.
- Due to business acquisitions, company mergers or demergers
- Permanent Switch to Office 365 cloud platform
- Better features, collaboration facilities, and security options
- Wide range of plans or subscriptions
- Need to deploy crucial data to a project team in Office 365
Complications With Manual Method
While there are manual methods available to migrate G Suite to Office 365, none of them are specifically designed for Office 365 shared mailboxes. Whether utilizing tools like Migration Wiz or setting up IMAP migration in the Office 365 admin center, manual solutions come with certain challenges.
- Restrictions on mailboxes and files
- Require technical expertise to perform accurate migration
- Very lengthy and time-consuming processes
- Chances of failure while creating migration endpoints
- Human errors can cause complete migration failure
- Data loss or corruption chances throughout the migration process
These challenges should not be overlooked. To save both time and money, G Suite users are strongly advised to opt for the professional method of migrating their G Suite mailboxes to Office 365 shared mailboxes, as outlined in the following section.
Professional Way to Migrate G Suite Data to Office 365
Let’s delve into the operation of the professional tool, Kernel G Suite to Office 365, for directly migrating G Suite mailboxes to Office 365 shared mailboxes. To begin, install the tool on your Windows system, either by downloading the free version or acquiring the full version. Then, follow the sequential steps below to execute the migration as planned.
- Launch the the tool on your system.
- Move to the Add Source section and click the Add option under it.
- On the G Suite login page, provide the account login email ID, Service Account ID, P12 File Path (users can get complete information to create a service account ID and generate the P12 file path on the same page). Choose the second option and to list all mailboxes in the account, select the Get User Mailbox(es) option as displayed.
- All the mailboxes within the G Suite account will get listed. Choose desired G Suite mailboxes by selecting the checkboxes against them. Then, click the Add option to add these mailboxes as the source.
- Now, you can see that the source mailboxes are added. Click the Add option under the Add Destination section.
- On the Office 365 login page, provide Mailbox Login ID, Password details, select the checkbox to assign the impersonation rights if you want; then select the second option, and click on the Get User Mailbox(es) to list all the user mailboxes, including the shared ones.
- All the mailboxes within the Office 365 account will get listed. Choose the desired shared mailboxes and click Add.
- On the next page, map the source mailboxes with chosen destination mailboxes as displayed, and then click the Set Filter and Migrate option.
- On the next page, check the mapping and click Migrate to continue.
- On the Filter Selection page, choose desired folders from added source mailboxes, add filters. Chose other options available if they are helpful. Then click the I am OK, Start Migration option.
- The migration process will start and complete soon. Click OK.
- Click on the Save report to CSV link to save the migration report in the CSV file format.
“The migration process described above is straightforward and provides quick results. Before making a purchase, you can try out the tool to explore all its features and functionalities for G Suite to Office 365 cloud migration. There are no restrictions on data volume or associated risks during the migration. Furthermore, this advanced migration tool can also be used to migrate G Suite to Office 365 archive mailboxes, public folders, groups, and shared mailboxes.
When it comes to specific migration tasks like transferring G Suite data directly to Office 365 shared mailboxes, manual solutions are scarce and often challenging to execute, even for straightforward mailbox migrations. In such cases, opting for a professional tool is the best choice, as it can significantly save time and effort.