Microsoft SharePoint is a popular content management system used by leading business organizations around the world. It has numerous advantages like simplified professional document management, collaboration features, and universal accessibility. Microsoft also offers a special tool to migrate the on-premises SharePoint data to SharePoint Online, OneDrive, and Office 365.
You can download the Microsoft SharePoint Migration tool from the following link
- After downloading and installing the tool, you will see the home screen of the tool. Click Next.
- Input the credentials for your Office 365 account. Click Sign-in after inputting the credentials.
- The next window will give three options– SharePoint on-premises, File Share, and CSV file for bulk migration. Here, the File Share option is selected to show the procedure.
- To select a file from your computer, click Choose Folder and browse the folder.
- After selecting the folder, click Next.
- Input the destination SharePoint URL, where you want to save the data. After selecting URL, click Add.
- After selecting the source and destination, click Migrate to start the migration. While the migration is running, you can choose to pause or stop it.
- After successful migration, the tool displays a message that the migration is finished and asks if you want to keep it for incremental runs in the future. Choose the desired option.
It was a brief procedure to migrate data from File Share to SharePoint using the SharePoint migration tool. It is really a simple tool which requires only minimum time and resources to migrate the data. But it also has multiple drawbacks like difficulty of execution. However, third-part tools can simplify the migration procedure very much.
Kernel Migrator for SharePoint is a one-stop solution for all SharePoint migration needs. It is a professional tool specially designed for SharePoint-to-SharePoint migration. SharePoint Migration tool can migrate to and from between any version of SharePoint – 2010, 2013, and 2016. It completely migrates list, libraries, and data along with its metadata and permissions. Moreover, it also supports migration from Exchange and Office 365 public folder to SharePoint, and from File System to Google Drive, OneDrive for Business, and SharePoint.
SharePoint to SharePoint Site Migration
Let’s see how Kernel Migrator for SharePoint migrates a site to another SharePoint site.
- Click Migration to SharePoint on the toolbar and select the SharePoint option.
- Both options will open the following wizard. Click the Add button.
- Select Site option among the three options – Site, List/Library, and Item.
- Select the source from the drop-down menu and then select the desired site from the source. After selecting the site, next important step is to choose the site you want to migrate the site. After selecting the desired option, click Next.
- Now choose the option for the destination.
- Select the desired site from the drop-down, provide a site name, and its subsite URL.
- Next window lets you select the copy options to migrate to a site.
- Next windows lets you select the copy options for List/Libraries.
- Put the appropriate filter from Date Filter, File Filter, and some advanced filters like Include Version, Ignore file path, Overwrite the file if it exists, and Upload file only if target file exists or older than the source file.
- Check Migrate Permissions to migrate complete permissions of the source file to the target.
- After completing all the pre-requisites, choose to start migration immediately or schedule to run it later.
- After successfully uploading all the content to the destination, the following message will confirm the migration. Click Finish to close the wizard.
Click SharePoint menu and select the SharePoint to SharePoint Migration option.
It can be seen that Kernel Migrator for SharePoint is very much ahead of Microsoft SharePoint Migration tool in capabilities. It covers all the aspects of the migration. In addition to SharePoint migration, it supports migration to OneDrive for Business and Office 365.