Due to the tacky and problematic performance of IBM Lotus Notes, many users are trying to migrate their data to other dependable platforms. In recent times, the users are inclined towards cloud technology and Office 365 has emerged as an efficient player in the market. It is the cloud platform created by Microsoft and has a great number of features and services and has emerged as a suitable environment for business data. It is a subscription-based online service which offers various software services like Microsoft Office Suite, Skype for Business, OneDrive, SharePoint, and Exchange Server.
Manual method for Lotus Notes to Exchange Online (Office 365)
Lotus Notes Administrator can take the assistance of IMAP connector to migrate Local NSF files. IMAP connector is the protocol which allows to send or retrieve email messages and attachment on any web browser. Majority of email clients like Gmail, Yahoo, and Outlook supports IMAP. So, here you can migrate your Lotus Notes files to Exchange Online:
Step – 1: Create a Backup of Mailboxes
The administrator should take a secure backup of all the email message so that they are not lost in case the migration does not go well. It also helps in verifying the data after migration.
Step – 2: Enable the TCP/IP Port
After creating a backup at a secure location, enable the TCP/IP port for all the Lotus Notes users:
- Now go to Domino Administrator in the IBM Notes.
- Go to the Configuration tab.
- Open the Server file.
- Follow Ports>>Internet Ports>>Mail.
- Go to TCP/IP port status and change the status to Enabled.
Step – 3: Synchronize IBM Lotus Notes with Office 365.
After enabling the TCP/IP port, the administrator can start to synchronize the Lotus Notes mailboxes to Office 365. After completing the synchronization, the mailbox from Lotus Notes can be migrated to Office 365 directly.
So, this is the manual method to migrate the IBM Lotus Notes to Exchange Online (Office 365).
Drawbacks of the manual method
Users have continuously criticized the performance of the manual method. Some of the most common issues are mentioned below here:
- You can migrate a Lotus Notes files with a maximum size of 1 GB only.
- If there are any Firewall or Proxy settings in the system, then Lotus Files will not be migrated.
- IMAP connector does not migrate the Calendar and its entries. The administrator needs to migrate them manually.
- If any user account is disabled, then they will not be migrated with the IMAP connector.
- IMAP connector will migrate only the online items of Lotus Notes.
When you are not successful in migrating the IBM Lotus Notes to Office 365, you need to take the help of a professional tool which can access NSF files from Lotus Notes or Domino Server. To make the migration job easier, here is a tool named Kernel Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes. This Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration tool accesses the NSF file, provides its preview, and migrates to Office 365 after providing the credentials.
Here is its step-by-step procedure to use the software:
- Run the software and click the button Add Local NSF File(s).
- Browse the NSF files you want to migrate.
- Click the Migrate button and input the Office 365 credentials. Then click OK.
- Click Get Target Mailbox(es) List button.
- Select any NSF file and click Mapping button to map it with any destination Office 365 account.
- Select the destination Office 365 and click OK.
- After mapping each NSF file with its respective destination Exchange Online mailbox, click OK.
- The ‘Set Filter’ wizard has multiple filtering options to remove the unwanted data to migrate. After applying filters click OK.
- Select the saving mode.
- Migration starts. You can choose to click Stop button and stop the data from migration.
If you compare both manual and automated method, then you can easily understand that Kernel Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes is highly advanced software to migrate IBM Lotus Notes emails to office 365 . The software can migrate an unlimited number of NSF files in a single cycle and with the maximum speed and accuracy.