Read time 9 min
The latest version of SharePoint 2019 has brought many features like support for large files, modern design for sites and page layouts, faster site creation, integration with features like PowerApps, Power BI and MS Flow, etc. Now, if you are planning to upgrade to the latest SharePoint and searching for the best migration method, then Microsoft has made it easy for you. There is a SharePoint Migration Tool available to you free, which you can download and use to conduct the migration.
You can perform the migrations-
- From SharePoint Server document libraries
- From File Share
If you are migrating from multiple sources, you can use JSON or CSV file for bulk migration.
Although the free SharePoint Migration tool is suitable for regular migration, it does not have features for the migration of versions, advanced filters, detailed migration reports, flexible migration scheduler, etc. If the migration gets to stop in the midway, then it can be quite troublesome too. That’s why you should use Kernel Migrator for SharePoint, which offers all the features for SharePoint migration. It supports 2010,2013,2016,2019, SharePoint Online(O365) versions of SharePoint too.
Here is a simple guide to complete the SharePoint-to-SharePoint migration for a site –
- Install and run the Kernel Migrator for SharePoint. Select the ‘Migration To’ option in the toolbar and then select SharePoint Server.
You can also choose the ‘SharePoint’ option under the menu and then select SharePoint to SharePoint Migration.
- Click the Add button.
- Select the first option of ‘Site’ among the three options – Site, List/Library, and Item. Click Next.
- Click the drop-down to select the registered source. It will mention all the available SharePoint Sites. Select the Site and click the Folder icon.
- Expand the site and its subsites. You can choose any subsite and select the entire site. Click OK after making the selection.
- The tool lists the site. Now there is three button – Edit Source Section, Remove All, and Add.
- The ‘Select Site Copy Options’ page brings the option to migrate the site.
There are the following options –
- Migrate as an existing site – Select this option to migrate the site, if the target site already exists on the Destination SharePoint.
- Migrate as a New Site – Select this option to copy the Source Site as a new Site on Destination. Clicking it activates the accompanied textbox, in which you can enter the new site name.
- Migrate as site collections(s) – Select this option to copy the new site as a site collection. Clicking it activates the accompanying section, where you have to provide the details like Central Admin URL.
You have to select any of the above options and provide the required inputs. Here, we are copying the source site as a new site. Click Next.
- Click the drop-down Site URL and select the Site. Then click the Browse button.
- Expand the Site to choose the sub-sites and then click the OK button.
- The software establishes its connection with the selected destination SharePoint Server.
- The tool enlists the site and provides you the destination site which you have chosen. Click Next.
- The ‘Site Migration Options’ presents multiple options that can be applied for the migration. Select as per your need. In the present example, all the checkboxes are selected.
- Select the required options in List/Library Migration Options.
- There are numerous filtering options including –
- Check the option to ‘Migrate Permissions.’ Click Next.
- Choose the Scheduling options among – Execute Immediate and Schedule. Click Next.
- The tool presents a summary of your selections for the source and destination SharePoint Servers. Click Next.
- The tool starts the migration.
- Here is the whole report of the migration. Click the Finish button.
Kernel Migrator for SharePoint performs fast migration of multiple SharePoint sites. Its advantage is that it helps to perform SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013, SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016 migration without any hassle.