If you don’t use Outlook with Microsoft Exchange Server, then Outlook saves all its data in a PST file. You can use the backup copy to restore Outlook data if original PST file gets damaged or lost. Follow the steps given below to back up the entire PST file:
- Close messaging programs such as Outlook, Microsoft Exchange or Microsoft Windows Messaging.
- Click Start and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) following command in the Open box and then press ENTER.
Control Panel opens.
Note – If you see the Pick a category screen, click User Accounts, and then go to step 3
- Double-click the Mail icon
- Click Show Profiles
- Click the appropriate profile and click Properties
- Click Data Files
- Under Name, click the Personal Folders Service that you want to back up. By default, this service is called Personal Folders. However, it may be named something else.
Note – If you have more than one Personal Folder Service in your profile, you must back up each set of .PST files separately.
If there are no entries called Personal Folders and you have not yet stored any information such as messages, contacts, appointments etc in Outlook, then you probably have not enabled the Personal Folders Service. Go to References section for information about how to create a PST file.
If you don’t have Personal Folders Services in your profile and you can store information including messages, contacts or appointments in Outlook, your information is probably being stored in a mailbox on an Exchange Server.
- Click on Settings and note the path and file name that appears
Now that PST file contains all data that is store in the MAPI folders that Outlook uses, the file can be very large. To reduce the size of the PST file, click Compact Now in the Settings window.
- Close all the Properties windows
- Utilize Windows Explorer or My Computer to copy the file that you noted in Step 8. You can copy the file to another location on the hard disk drive or to any kind of removable storage media such as floppy disk, a CD-ROM, a portable hard disk drive, a magnetic tape cassette or any other storage device.
Backups are the best means to save data of any file. But when corruption strikes and backups are not up-to-date, recovery of vital data becomes the area of concern. Outlook PST recovery becomes easy with Kernel for Outlook which helps to repair pst files and recover emails and other items of the Outlook mailbox file. To repair outlook pst file, the tool scans the database and performs recovery of personal folders, emails attachments, images, Unicode characters, journals, appointments, calendars, contacts etc.