How to create a Keyboard Shortcut to access hidden Desktop icons and files?
Keeping icons and essential files on desktop is very common habit of computer users. But with passing time, these icons and files increase and make the desktop messy, so regular cleaning of desktop is must. Idea of cleaning the desktop on regular basis is good but it does not solve the basic purpose due to which these files and icons are kept there.
So what to do in such a situation? Solution is simple- hide these desktop icons and files and create keyboard shortcut for them. This way you can not only keep the desktop clean but can access these icons and files easily whenever needed.
Hiding Desktop icons and files
To hide desktop icons and files, follow these simple steps:
- Right click on the Desktop, go to View.
- Uncheck the option Show Desktop Icons.
Now all your desktop files and icons have concealed and you can view a clean desktop.
Creating a Desktop shortcut to open Desktop Folder
To create a desktop shortcut to open desktop folder, follow these steps:
- Click on Start button > (your username) > Desktop folder.
- Right click on the Desktop folder and click Send to -> Desktop (Create Shortcut).
A desktop shortcut to open desktop folder has been created now.
Assigning a Custom keyboard Shortcut to open Hidden Desktop Icons and Files
To assign custom keyboard shortcut to open hidden desktop icons and files, follow these steps:
- Click on Start button > (your username) > Desktop folder
- Right click the keyboard shortcut for desktop you have created. Click Properties.
- Open Shortcuts tab and click on Shortcut Key box.
- Now click ALT + CTRL + any letter key to create a custom shortcut and click OK.
Now you can get quick access to all your desktop icons and files without displaying them on desktop. Just press the combination of keys that you have assigned to these desktop icons and files and access them.